Qatar Central Bank has revealed the 5th series of Qatar currency notes in December 2020. The new Qatari Riyal banknotes have come into circulation from 18th December 2020.
According to the declaration, all sects of Qatar currency notes will have new appearances and new security features. The bank also presented a 200 Qatari Riyal banknote for the first time.
Exchange of Old Qatari Currency Notes
24th June 2021 Update- Main banks in Qatar have declared they will be receiving old banknotes till the 31st of December 2021.
- Banknotes of the 4th series will become illegal and invalid after this period.
- Nevertheless, the holder will be able to retrieve the value of the unredeemed notes within 10 years of the date of the withdrawal decision from the Central Bank.
The QCB emphasized the significance of protecting the national currency and not meddling with it, whether by writing, perforation, or otherwise, showing that these acts are unlawful.
12th February 2021 Update- Qatar Islamic Bank, Qatar National Bank, and Commercial Bank Qatar have declared that it is now feasible to deposit all new notes of Qatari Riyals in the banks’ deposit machines.
The banks were needed to modernize their machines for the new banknotes.
Design features of the new Qatari currency notes
The front designs of the new banknotes convey a unifying theme based on ancient geometric designs, the State of Qatar flora (Dreama), and an ornate gate depicting chronological Qatari architecture.
The back designs include themes echoing Qatari customs, Islamic heritage, culture, flora & fauna, and growth of education, sport & the economy.
1 Qatari Riyal
QR 1 illustrates the ancient Dhow (Bateel), the Oyster, and Pearl Monument.
5 Qatari Riyal
QR 5 illustrated an ancient desert location including fauna (Arab horses, Camel, Oryxes), flora (Al Qataf), and ‘hair tent’ (Buryuut Hajar).
10 Qatari Riyal
QR 10 illustrates Lusail Stadium, Torch Tower, Sidra Medicine, and Education City.
50 Qatari Riyal
QR 50 illustrated the Qatar Central Bank structure and the Ministry of Finance structure.
100 Qatari Riyal – New Currency
QR 100 illustrates a snapshot of Imam Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab Mosque.
200 Qatari Riyals
QR 200 illustrates a snapshot of the Palace of Sheikh Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatar National Museum, and Museum of Islamic Art.
500 Qatari Riyal – New Currency
QR 500 illustrates Ras Laffan LNG refinery and LNG canter ship.
Qatar’s New Currency Notes: Security Features
The new bank will be equipped with 64 state-of-the-art security protocols.
- Each security thread reveals the value of the note.
- The digits and horizontal line prints are enlarged for the convenience of the blind and visually impaired.
- When you raise the banknote to the sunup to see the sketchy shapes on the front and back of the note merge to form the banknote’s value.
- Lift the banknote to the sunup to witness the signature of the State of Qatar Crest and notes digits.
- Tilt the banknote and witness differences in the image of the signature.
- Tilt the banknote and witness the differences in the pattern of the security thread.
- Tilt the banknote to witness the Dreama flower on the gate altering colour and a radiant circle revolving within the flower.
The circulation of Qatari coins
Qatar has coins of diverse sects in trade with its riyal currency notes. The coins generally seen in trade are of 50 and 25 dirhams.
You May also Like
- Qatar’s currency and its evolution
- Top 20 Cheapest and Lowest Currencies in the World
- World’s Top 20 Strongest Currencies