Are you a nature lover? Do you like long drives? If yes, then you are going to love this article. Today, we are discussing Al Karaana Lagoon in Qatar. It is a treat for everyone’s eyes. Al Karaana Lagoon is one of the peaceful places in Qatar encompassed by water, trees, and plants. Don’t forget to visit this wonderful place with your loved ones!
History of Al Karaana Lagoon
The place is located 60 KM southwest of Doha. It was home to 10 various species of lagoons. According to ‘Ashghal’, the place has been practiced since 2006 to get approx 6000 cubic meters of manufacturing wastewater each day, ending in the growth of sediments & solids at the depths of the lagoons. The creation of a hazardous thickness of up to 3.5 meters in some areas.
Reclamation & Rehabilitation of Al Karaana Lagoon
The work of reclamation & rehabilitation started on 16th November 2019. The project focused on the re-establishment of the area by removing the old lagoons and using the polluted soil at their base, practices of international specialists to evaluate the levels of contamination and execution of all polluted sediments right at the locality, to re-establish the natural area and guarantee the shield of the environment.
One of the most crucial elements of the project is the three man-made lagoons, which were designed to save about 2.4 million cubic meters of used sewerage wastewater arriving from the Al Karaana treatment plant.
What can you see at Al Karaana Lagoon?
It’s a unique place in the entire country to find artificial lagoons. You will be amazed that this place is in Qatar! You must visit this place once in your life. You will find a beautiful sanctuary in the middle, where you can witness various species of birds, fish, fauna & flora.
The place is one of the best attraction points for tourists.
Tips when you’re there
- Take water and snacks with you. You won’t find stores nearby.
- Woqod Petrol Station – Sawdaa Nateel is the closest petrol station to the lagoon, based on Google Maps.
- For best viewing, visit during the cooler months in Qatar and before sunset.
- We recommend wearing athletic shoes or sneakers as the territory is not ideal for other types of shoes.
- Do not disturb the local environment or flora.
- Watch out for children as there are no barriers around the water.
Do you need a 4×4 to visit?
- No, you don’t need 4×4
- After crossing the main road, you will witness off-roading on a gravelly road.
- Follow the GPS for directions to the location.
- There is no entry fee.