Msheireb Tram is now up and running and that it’s free! With the addition of the Msheireb Tram to the Doha Metro, Msheireb Downtown Doha (MDD) has become more easily accessible than ever before. As one of the world’s smartest and most sustainable fully built city districts, MDD offers visitors a unique blend of history, culture, and modern amenities.
As the flagship development project of Msheireb Properties, the real estate company has breathed new life into the old commercial district, transforming it into a vibrant destination for living, leisure, and business in Qatar. Located in the heart of Doha, MDD is a modern urban space that showcases sustainable living and celebrates Qatar’s rich cultural heritage.
The recent developments in public transportation in Qatar have made it easier for both residents and visitors to get around. The addition of the Msheireb Tram to the Doha Metro system has made Msheireb Downtown Doha (MDD) more accessible than ever before. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a longtime resident, it’s worth taking the time to explore MDD and discover all that it has to offer. Keep scrolling to learn more about the Tram and Msheireb Downtown Doha!
About the Msheireb Tram
The Msheireb Tram runs on a 2.12-kilometer track, covering a closed-loop circuit with nine stops along the way. The trams are self-powered and equipped with modern amenities such as onboard CCTV and WiFi, making the ride comfortable and safe. Each tram has 33 seats, allowing passengers to travel in comfort. As of now, there are three trams in operation, and they arrive at each stop every six minutes, providing a convenient and efficient mode of transportation for commuters and visitors alike.
It was made to make the transportation of the residents easier in the city in a much needed eco-friendly way. It is fully air-conditioned with light-filtering glass panels inhibiting 90% of heat from sunlight. These trams can be opened from above during winter. Properties of Msheireb Trams –
Saturday to Thursday:
- 9 am – 12 noon
- 4 pm – 9 pm
Friday: 4 pm – 9 pm
*The last tram departs 15 minutes before closing time.
What are the things not allowed inside the Msheireb Tram
The following items are prohibited inside the Msheireb Tram:
- Food and drinks
- Loud music/conversation
- Placing feet on the seats
MDD Tram stations
There are nine stations on the Msheireb Tram route, each located within or near the Msheireb Downtown Doha district. The stations are as follows:
- Education City Tram Station
- National Museum Tram Station
- Bin Jelmood House Tram Station
- Al Kahraba Street Tram Station
- Al Diwan Street Tram Station
- Msheireb Tram Station
- Al Najada Street Tram Station
- Al Souq Tram Station
- Falcon Souq Tram Station
Reaching to Msheireb tram from Msheireb metro station
One would need to exit from gate number 5 and then follow the tram signs to get to the tram station. Here you can find the tram station number 2. The tree shaped tram station will be waiting for you.
How to get to Msheireb Tram from Msheireb Metro Station?
To reach Msheireb Downtown Doha via the Msheireb Tram, you can take the Downtown East exit (exit no. 5) from the Msheireb station and follow the signs until you reach the street. Walk along the left side and follow the signs for a few meters until you arrive at the district. On your right side, you will find the Msheireb Tram station no. 2, which is marked by a unique, tree-shaped tram stop that provides seating for visitors waiting for the tram.
Visiting places in MDD by Msheireb Tram
One can reach various places in MDD through the tram service. Here is what you can visit from every tram station. Here is the break-up –
Station 2 Wadi Msheireb Station
Msheireb Metro Station
Msheireb Metro Station is not only the largest metro station in Qatar but also one of the biggest in the world. It serves as the interchange point for the three Doha Metro lines – Red, Gold, and Green – making it a crucial transportation hub in the city.
Park Hyatt Doha is the first Park Hyatt Hotel of Hyatt Hotels Corporation in Qatar and the third 5-star luxury hotel in Msheireb Downtown Doha. Situated on Sikket Al Wadi street, the hotel was constructed with the goal of achieving US Gold LEED certification, prioritizing environmentally sustainable initiatives, and supporting local suppliers through collaborations.
The shopping destination will showcase globally recognized fashion labels ranging from expansive flagship stores to smaller boutiques.
Station 3 – Galleria Station
Souq Waqif Underpass
An underground tunnel links MDD to the Souq, which features retail shops like Pick and Save Supermarket and Planet Organic along the walkway.
Alawadi Hotel Doha – 5-star boutique MGallery
The Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels is a luxurious 5-star hotel, marking the debut of MGallery by Sofitel in Qatar. With 213 opulent rooms and suites, this boutique hotel boasts the Souq and Royal Suites with private balconies that offer stunning panoramic views of the iconic Souq Waqif.
Four levels and will boast over 100 stores, a luxury cinema, and Qatar’s first digitally advanced Monoprix.
Station 5 – Heritage Quarter Station
Msheireb Museum – The heart of Msheireb Downtown Doha comprises four restored historic heritage houses, including Bin Jelmood House, Mohammed Bin Jassim House, Company House, and Radwani House. These houses provide a unique insight into Qatar’s history, and admission is free.
Monday to Thursday; Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm
Friday: 3 pm – 9 pm
- Msheireb Mosque – Can visit Jumaa Mosque/Al Jouma Mosque from here.
Station 6 – Al Baraha Station
Mandarin Oriental Hotel
The first hotel to open in Msheireb Downtown Doha is a 5-star hotel that offers 117 rooms, 41 spacious suites, and 91 serviced apartments. It blends stylish contemporary design with traditional Qatari heritage and culture.
ater feature to the west, providing a perfect place for visitors to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
Station 7 – Sahat Al-Masjid Station
The station is situated near the iconic Fanar Islamic Cultural Center and is one of the nine stops on the tram’s route. It is a convenient stop for visitors to the MDD area who wish to explore the cultural and religious sites in the vicinity.
Station 8 – Al Kharaba Station
The station is named after the Al Kharaba Street, which is a major road in the area. The station provides access to various destinations such as the Al Khoot Fort, Souq Waqif, and various restaurants and shops in the MDD area.
Restaurants and Cafes in MDD
Station 2 – Wadi Msheireb Station
Some restaurants and cafes are there in MDD which can be visited from station number 2. Here is the list –
- Sora – Japanese restaurants and lounge
- Opus – local dishes by Qatari chef Shams Al Qassabi and Michelin-starred chef Jean-François Rouquette.
Station 3 – Galleria
% Arabica – With its main store located in Kyoto, Japan, % Arabica is a renowned coffee shop chain founded by Kenneth Shoji. The brand boasts over 50 branches across the globe.
Alwadi Hotel Doha offers various dining choices for guests.
- Sofra serves Middle Eastern cuisine with Qatari hospitality.
- Atteatude is the hotel’s tea and coffee lounge.
- Le Colonial is Doha’s first authentic breakfast room.
- O’Glacee Restaurant and Pool Bar offers Mediterranean food and views of Msheireb.
- Infinity Rooftop Lounge allows guests to drink specialty beverages while enjoying the Doha skyline.
Souq Underpass offers some dining options such as –
- The Box Donut: offers square-shaped donuts, bagels, and beverages. Contact number: 7009 0058.
- Nomad Coffee: an independent specialty coffee shop that offers exclusive and limited edition coffee beans. More information available on their Instagram page.
- Planet Organic Food: a retail shop that sells organic food products.
- Pick&Save Supermarket: a retail shop that sells groceries and daily essentials.
- Almachia: a retail shop that sells traditional Qatari clothing and souvenirs.
- Zaitoune Sweets: a retail shop that offers a variety of traditional Arabic sweets.
- Honeymoon: a retail shop that sells fragrances, cosmetics, and skincare products.
Station 5 – Heritage Quarter Station
Al Fai Restaurant
Al Fai Restaurant is located in Company House in Msheireb Downtown Doha. It is a Qatari restaurant that offers traditional Qatari cuisine with a modern twist. Visitors can enjoy dishes such as Machboos, Thareed, and Madrouba, among others. For reservations, customers can call 3068 8300.
Empire Coffee is a specialty coffee shop and roaster with four branches in Qatar, including one in Msheireb Downtown Doha. The coffee shop offers a variety of coffee beans sourced from around the world, which are then roasted and brewed on-site to create high-quality coffee drinks. Along with their coffee, they also offer a selection of pastries, cakes, and light bites. The atmosphere of the cafe is modern and stylish, with a minimalist design and ample seating for customers to enjoy their coffee and work or relax. Empire Coffee is known for its commitment to sustainability, using eco-friendly packaging, and working with local suppliers to source ingredients.
Station 6 – Al Baraha Station
The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Msheireb Downtown Doha offers a variety of dining options to its guests:
- IZU – This restaurant offers French Mediterranean cuisine with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and a creative approach to cooking.
- Mosaic – The Mosaic restaurant serves international cuisine from nine specialty open kitchens, including Arabic, Chinese, Indian, and Japanese dishes.
- Mandarin Lounge – The tea lounge serves an array of premium teas and light snacks. The lounge has an open-air terrace overlooking the courtyard.
- Baraha Lounge – This lounge overlooks the Barahat Msheireb square and serves a variety of drinks, including cocktails and mocktails.
- Gelato – The gelato shop offers homemade gelato and frozen desserts in a variety of flavors.
- Aqua – This alfresco rooftop restaurant provides breathtaking views of the Doha skyline and serves a Mediterranean-inspired menu with fresh seafood and grilled dishes.
- Ambar – The Ambar lounge serves a variety of specialty beverages, including cocktails, mocktails, and coffee.
- Liang – This restaurant offers Cantonese and select provincial dishes from around China, with a focus on fresh ingredients and traditional cooking techniques.
Details: Call 4008 8888.
Saasna Restaurant, located along Barahat Msheireb, offers a modern twist on traditional Qatari cuisine. For reservations, please call 4038 1081.
“Caffeinated” is a coffee shop that specializes in high-quality coffee and is situated along Barahat Msheireb.
Cacao 70 is a dessert and chocolate-themed restaurant chain that originated in Montreal, Canada. It offers a variety of chocolate-based dishes, including waffles, crepes, fondue, and hot chocolate, as well as savory items.
Station 8 – Al Kharaba Station
- Rusk is an artisanal bakery. For more details, check out their Instagram page.
- Ministry of Coffee is a specialty coffee shop that also serves as an official reseller of Mavam espresso.
- Turkiana is a store that sells Turkish sweets and coffee.
Msheireb Downtown Doha
The flagship project of Msheireb Properties aims to breathe new life into the old commercial heart of the city with a QAR 20 billion development across a 31-hectare (76-acre) site, utilizing a new architectural language that prioritizes community living. Notable landmarks and destinations, such as Souq Waqif, Corniche, the financial district, and Amiri Diwan, are all within close proximity, while Hamad International Airport is a mere 20-minute drive away, making it a prime location for Qatar’s upcoming commercial district.
The Barahat Msheireb, Msheireb Museums, Msheireb Prayer Grounds, Retail Galleria, Department Store, Sikkat Wadi Msheireb, and Sahat Al Nakheel, which features a boutique business hotel overlooking the square, as well as a variety of restaurants and cafes, are among the key commercial and residential projects in MDD.
MDD’s over 100 buildings will be Gold or Platinum LEED-certified, and the district will adhere to the highest standards of green and smart urban development, allowing for a sustainable and efficient way of living while minimizing the impact on the environment.
In the future, MDD will also be home to Juniverse™, an innovative edutainment park for children and the world’s first city in space.
Please Subscribe Us to get updated with Qatar News, Saudi News, Kuwait News, Health News, UAE News, Iqama, Visa, Jobs, Banking and More.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings