Probably the best thing that happened for the current year in Qatar was definitely the opening of the Doha Metro. Already, residents without their own vehicles depended on buses, taxis, limousines, and ride-sharing vehicles to get around the nation.
As of now, a great deal of residents have just made riding the Doha Metro a piece of their everyday lives. However, some presently cannot seem to step foot in it. Regardless whether you are a prepared Metro client or a novice. We trust this guide will be valuable for you to get around Doha and past utilizing the Metro and its different services.
The most underground state of the art automated rail network has three lines – Red, Gold, and Green.
The Red Line runs from north to south (Lusail to Al Wakra) and interfaces with the Lusail Tram through Legtaifiya station. It interfaces with the Gold Line through Msheireb Interchange, while Al Bidda Station associates it with the Green Line. Red Line has 18 stops, with 13 stops presently open.
The Gold Line stretches from east to west (Ras Bu Abboud to Al Aziziyah) with 11 stops running. The Doha Metro Gold Line Preview Service areas below
The Green Line additionally runs from east to west (Al Mansoura to Al Riffa) with 9 stops and is yet to open.
Metro Green Line started December 10, 2019, along with the Hamad International Airport, Katara, Lusail, and Qatar University stations from the Metro Red Line. Legtaifiya station will open in 2020.
If you see the Doha Metro stations from a distance, you will understand that they bear similarities to traditional Bedouin tents. One of the ways that Qatar’s past is reflected in the engineering of the stations.
The Doha Metro Metrolink is a feeder bus service that provides transportation to and from Doha Metro stations. The Metrolink is operated by the Ministry of Transport and Communications in Qatar and is available to all Doha Metro users. The service is designed to enhance the accessibility of the metro system by providing convenient and reliable transportation options for commuters. The Metrolink operates on designated routes that cover major residential, commercial, and industrial areas in Doha. The service is available in three different colors: Red, Green, and Gold. Each color represents a different route, and the buses run on a fixed schedule, which can be found on the official website of the Doha Metro.
Metrolink is a free feeder bus service that connects passengers from various points in Doha to the Doha Metro stations. The Metrolink service has multiple routes, each with designated stops and timings, to ensure easy access for passengers to the Metro stations.
The routes cover various areas of Doha, including residential, commercial, and industrial areas. Metrolink also provides services to and from various tourist destinations such as Katara Cultural Village, The Pearl-Qatar, and Souq Waqif.
The Metrolink buses are easily identifiable with their green, red, and gold colors, and they operate according to specific schedules.
- Weekdays: 5:00 AM to 12:00 AM (midnight)
- Fridays: 2:00 PM to 12:00 AM (midnight)
- Weekdays: 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Fridays: 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM
- Weekdays: 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Fridays: 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Peak (06:00-08:00 and 14:00-21:00) Freq : each 12 mins.
Off-Peak Freq: each 20 mins
Read More Doha Metro: A Complete Guide to Qatar’s Rapid Transportation System
The Doha Metro MetroExpress service is a complimentary ride-sharing program available exclusively for registered Doha Metro clients. The service can accommodate up to 7 passengers in a single vehicle, and is available for the West Bay and DICC (Doha International Conference Center) stations.
The MetroExpress service is an on-demand service, meaning that passengers can request a ride when they need it. The service is available in the following areas: West Bay, Diplomatic Area, Onaiza 63, and Al Jazi Compounds.
Passengers can request a ride through the Karwa Bus app, which is available for download on both iOS and Android devices. Once the ride is requested, a vehicle will be dispatched to the designated location to pick up the passenger. The service is available from 6:00am to 11:00pm on weekdays, and from 2:00pm to 11:00pm on Fridays.
The MetroExpress service is part of the Doha Metro’s efforts to provide a convenient and efficient transportation system for residents and visitors in Qatar.
Getting around Qatar using Doha Metro
Lusail QNB Station
Walking distance from Lusail Metro Station is the Lusail Stadium, which is one of the main venues for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The station is conveniently located near the stadium, making it an ideal mode of transportation for fans attending matches or other events at the stadium.
In addition to the Lusail Stadium, the station also provides access to other nearby destinations through the Metro link. Commuters can easily reach Doha Festival City, which is a large shopping mall featuring a wide range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
The M145 Metro link also provides access to ACE Hardware, which is a popular hardware store that offers a variety of home improvement products and services. IKEA, which is a well-known Swedish furniture retailer, is also easily accessible via the M145 link.
The Metro link also stops by schools, for example, Qatar Finland International School, International School of London, Kindergarten Zekreet Independent, and the International British School.
Close by, you can also find Crescent Park.
Qatar University Station
There are several stores located near Qatar University Station on the Doha Metro, including:
- Carrefour Market: A grocery store located inside the Qatar University campus that sells a variety of food items, including fresh produce, meat, and bakery items.
- Qatar University Bookstore: Located inside the campus, this bookstore sells textbooks, stationery, and other educational supplies.
- Starbucks: A popular coffee chain located inside the Qatar University campus.
- QNB Bank: A branch of Qatar National Bank, located within walking distance of the Qatar University Station.
- Al Rawabi: A convenience store located near the station that sells snacks, drinks, and other everyday items.
- McDonald’s: A fast-food chain located near the station, serving burgers, fries, and other classic menu items.
- Gulf Paradise Hotel: A hotel located near the station, with a restaurant and coffee shop serving meals and snacks.
- Al Jaber Optical: An eyewear store located near the station, selling a range of glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses.
- Al Bait Al Kuwaiti: A clothing store located near the station, selling traditional Kuwaiti clothing and accessories.
- Souq Al Dira: A traditional market located near the station, selling clothing, accessories, and other goods.
Katara Metro Station
Katara Station of Doha Metro is located in the cultural village of Katara, which offers a range of cultural activities and events. In addition, there are several stores and amenities located near the station, including:
- Katara Beach: A beautiful beach located just a short walk from the station.
- Katara Plaza: A shopping mall with a variety of stores, restaurants, and cafes.
- Katara Village Market: An open-air market with local vendors selling handicrafts, jewelry, and souvenirs.
- Katara Art Center: An art gallery that showcases local and international artists.
- Katara Amphitheatre: A stunning outdoor venue that hosts concerts, festivals, and other cultural events.
- Katara Masjid: A beautiful mosque that offers daily prayers and religious services.
- Cultural Village Foundation – Katara: A cultural center that offers classes and workshops in traditional Qatari arts and crafts.
- Qatar National Library: A state-of-the-art library that offers a wide range of books, resources, and events.
- Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel: A luxury hotel with several restaurants, bars, and a spa.
- The Pearl-Qatar: A nearby artificial island that offers high-end shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
Al Qassar Metro Station
Al Qassar Metro Station is located in the Al Qassar district, which is a residential and commercial area in Doha, Qatar. Some of the nearby stores and shopping destinations are:
- City Center Mall: One of the largest malls in Qatar, City Center Mall is just a few minutes away from Al Qassar Metro Station. It has over 350 stores, a cinema, a family entertainment center, and a range of restaurants and cafes.
- The Gate Mall: Another popular shopping destination, The Gate Mall is a luxury shopping center located near Al Qassar Metro Station. It features high-end brands, fine dining options, and a rooftop garden.
- Lagoona Mall: This upscale mall is also located in the vicinity of Al Qassar Metro Station. It offers a range of luxury brands, dining options, a cinema, and entertainment for families.
Doha Exhibition and Convention Center (DECC) Station
There are several cafes and restaurants located nearby within walking distance, such as:
- Costa Coffee
- Caribou Coffee
- Tea Time
- Bateel Cafe
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
- Fauchon Cafe
- Caffe Vergnano 1882
These cafes and restaurants are located in nearby shopping centers and hotels, such as City Center Mall, The Gate Mall, and The Westin Doha Hotel & Spa.
The following places of interest are near the DECC station however, you need to walk or take the taxi to get to them:
- Hotel Park
- Sheraton Grand Doha Resort and Convention Hotel
- Four Seasons Hotel Doha
- Hilton Doha Hotel
West Bay QIC Station
West Bay QIC Station is a metro station located in the West Bay area of Doha, Qatar. It is a part of the Doha Metro’s Red Line and serves as an important transportation hub for the West Bay business district. The station is located near Qatar Insurance Company (QIC) Tower and has a direct connection to the QIC Tower via a pedestrian bridge.
As for stores and cafes near the West Bay QIC Station, there are several options within walking distance, including:
- Qatar International Islamic Bank (QIIB) branch
- Mawasem Al Sharq Supermarket
- Baskin Robbins
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Costa Coffee
The Corniche Station is located in the heart of Doha’s waterfront promenade, and there are several stores in the surrounding area. Within walking distance from the station, you can find:
- Souq Waqif: A traditional market with shops selling handicrafts, textiles, spices, and other local goods.
- City Center Mall: A large shopping mall with a variety of stores selling clothing, electronics, and more.
- Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel: A luxury hotel with a boutique store selling designer clothing, accessories, and gifts.
- Souq Al Baladi: A market selling traditional Qatari clothing, jewelry, and souvenirs.
- The Corniche: The waterfront promenade itself has several vendors selling snacks, drinks, and souvenirs.
- Al Bidda Park (leave 3),
- Doha Fire Station Gallery, and Qatar Post (leave 1).
- Khalifa Tennis and Squash Complex is close by leave 4.
Al Bidda Station
Doha’s first pet-friendly park, Al Bidda Park, is additionally effectively open from this metro station. It takes around 12 minutes by walking to get to Qatar Bowling Center.
Al Bidda station is additionally the exchange for the Red and Green Line.
Msheireb Station is a major transportation hub in the heart of Doha, Qatar. It is the only station that connects all three lines of the Doha Metro: the Red Line, Green Line, and Gold Line. This makes it a convenient location for commuters and tourists to transfer between different lines.
In addition to its transportation connections, Msheireb Station is also located near several popular attractions in Doha. These include the Al Wadi Hotel, which is a luxury hotel that offers stunning views of the city skyline. The Container Zaid Cultural Center is also nearby, which is a cultural hub that showcases contemporary art exhibitions, performances, and workshops.
For those interested in traditional markets, the famous Souq Waqif is just a short walk from the station. The Souq is a bustling marketplace that offers a wide range of goods, including spices, textiles, and traditional Qatari clothing.
For those interested in history and culture, the Msheireb Museums are also nearby. These museums showcase Qatar’s rich heritage and offer visitors a chance to learn about the country’s past and present.
Finally, the Gold Souq is another popular attraction located near the station. This market offers a wide range of gold jewelry, as well as other precious metals and gems.
Al Doha Al Jadeeda Station
Al Doha Al Jadeeda station is located in the Al Doha Al Jadeeda district of Doha, Qatar. This station is situated near several hotels, making it a convenient location for travelers to stay when visiting the city.
The Concorde Hotel is one of the hotels located near Al Doha Al Jadeeda station. This hotel is a four-star property that offers comfortable rooms and suites, as well as several on-site restaurants and bars. The Concorde Hotel is within walking distance of the station, making it a convenient option for travelers.
The Crowne Plaza Doha – The Business Park is another hotel located near Al Doha Al Jadeeda station. This hotel is a five-star property that offers luxurious accommodations and a range of amenities, including a fitness center, outdoor pool, and several dining options. The Crowne Plaza is located a short distance from the station, and guests can easily access it by taxi or public transportation.
Finally, the Holiday Inn Doha – The Business Park is also located near Al Doha Al Jadeeda station. This hotel is a four-star property that offers modern and comfortable rooms, as well as several on-site amenities, including a fitness center, pool, and restaurant. Like the other hotels in the area, the Holiday Inn is within walking distance of the station, making it a convenient option for travelers.
To reach Umm Ghuwailina Health Center, simply take the M114 Metro link.
Umm Ghuwailina Station
Umm Ghuwailina station is located in the Umm Ghuwailina neighborhood of Doha, Qatar. This station is served by four Metro link routes that offer easy access to several popular destinations in the city. Here are some of the famous attractions near Umm Ghuwailina station on each route:
- Gold Souq (M110): This Metro link route passes through several popular destinations in Doha, including the Gold Souq, which is a popular market that offers a wide range of gold and jewelry items. Other popular attractions on this route include the Souq Waqif, which is a historic market that offers a range of shopping and dining options, and the Museum of Islamic Art, which is a world-renowned museum that showcases Islamic art from around the world.
- Al Sadd (M112): This Metro link route passes through several popular residential and commercial areas in Doha, including Al Sadd, which is a popular neighborhood that offers a range of shopping and dining options. Other popular attractions on this route include the Villaggio Mall, which is a large shopping center that offers a range of retail and dining options, and Aspire Park, which is a large park that features several sports facilities and outdoor activities.
- Al Aziziyah (M113): This Metro link route passes through several popular residential and commercial areas in Doha, including Al Aziziyah, which is a popular neighborhood that offers a range of shopping and dining options. Other popular attractions on this route include the Aspire Zone, which is a large sports complex that features several sports facilities and outdoor activities, and the Al Rayyan Sports Club Stadium, which is a sports stadium that hosts a range of events.
- Al Qassar (M140): This Metro link route passes through several popular destinations in Doha, including Al Qassar, which is a popular area that offers several luxury hotels and restaurants. Other popular attractions on this route include the Katara Cultural Village, which is a cultural center that offers several art galleries, theaters, and cultural events, and the Pearl-Qatar, which is a man-made island that features several luxury residential buildings, retail outlets, and restaurants.
Al Matar Al Qadeem Station
Al Matar Al Qadeem station is located in the Al Matar Al Qadeem neighborhood of Doha, Qatar. This station is served by the Red Line of the Doha Metro, which offers easy access to several popular destinations in the city. Here are some of the famous attractions near Al Matar Al Qadeem station:
- Doha Festival City: This is a large shopping mall located near the Al Matar Al Qadeem station. The mall features over 400 stores, a range of dining options, and several entertainment facilities, including an indoor theme park, a cinema complex, and an outdoor park.
- IKEA: This is a popular furniture store located adjacent to the Doha Festival City mall. The store features a range of furniture, home decor, and household items, and is a popular shopping destination for locals and tourists alike.
- Al Markhiya Gallery: This is an art gallery located near the Al Matar Al Qadeem station that showcases contemporary art from both local and international artists. The gallery hosts several exhibitions throughout the year and is a popular destination for art lovers.
- Aspire Zone: This is a large sports complex located near the Al Matar Al Qadeem station that features several sports facilities and outdoor activities. The complex includes the Aspire Dome, which is the largest indoor multi-purpose dome in the world, and the Aspire Park, which is a large park that features several sports facilities, a lake, and several outdoor activities.
Al Matar Al Qadeem station is a convenient location to access several popular destinations in Doha, offering access to shopping malls, art galleries, sports facilities, and several other entertainment options.
Oqba Ibn Nafie Station
These are the most famous stops for the three Metro link routes servicing Oqba Ibn Nafie:
- Al Ahli Sports Club (M123) – leave 2
- Lulu D Ring (M124) – leave 2
- Al Thumama Health Center (M125) – East exit
- Ansar Gallery – M125 to Al Thumama Area East
Hamad International Airport Station
Rather than boarding the train for Al Wakrah (if coming from the Lusail route), make a point to board the train heading for HIA. A person on the bridge connects the metro station with the Departure area.
Streetcars and flight data are also promptly available in the HIA Metro station.
Free Zone (Economic Zone) Station
Commuters take the M140 Metro link to get to Lulu Barwa City and the Religious Complex.
Ras Abu Fontas Station
In case you are headed to Barwa Village, you can ride the M126 Metro link from the station. The M126 Metro link can drop you at the edges of Centre point Mall.
Al Wakra Station
After getting off at the last stop, you can easily access Souq Al Wakra by the M127 Metro link bus while Al Wakrah Sports Club is one of the stops along the M128 route. In case you are planning to go to Al Wakra Hospital and Ezdan Shopping Mall in Wakra, better take the M134.
M132 takes you to Al Janoub Stadium while the M130 takes you to the Grand Hypermarket Ezdan Mall.
National Museum Station
Metro clients would now be able to have simple access to the new National Museum of Qatar thanks to the opening of the Gold Line. It is additionally one of the most famous vacation destinations in the nation.
Souq Waqif Station
Beside the National Museum, Souq Waqif is also a frequent stop for tourists and residents alike. When you leave this station, you can easily walk to the Souq and the surrounding areas like Gold Souq, Falcon Souq, Souq Waqif Art Center, and Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels by Tivoli.
Canister Mahmoud Station
The M302 route from Bin Mahmoud station takes commuters to hostels like Westin Spa and Hotel and Centro Capital by Rotana.
Al Sadd Station
Nearby places to visit are Royal Plaza Mall, Millennium Plaza Doha, and Hamad Pediatric Emergency Center.
Al Asmakh Mall and the Millennium Hotel are both walking distance from the Joaan station. In the event that you need to reach Mirqab Mall, land at Joaan station at that point and walk around 10 to 15 minutes to get to the shopping mall.
Al Sudan Station
If you are heading for Al Sadd Stadium, this is the stop to take. You can also walk to Ali Bin Hamad Al Attiyah arena. It will take around 13 minutes.
Sports City Station
Walking distance from Sport City station is the Khalifa International Stadium, one of the main scenes in the 24th Arabian Gulf Cup and FIFA World Cup 2022. Walk further and you’ll get the chance to Aspire Zone sports complex.
Al Aziziyah Station
The last station in the Gold Line is the stop for people who need to get to Villaggio Mall and The Torch. If you need to get to Hyatt Plaza and Aspire Park, take Exit 2 and board the M313 Metro link.
The last station of the Green Line on the west side stops before the Mall of Qatar. There is a secured walkway connecting the Metro exit with the shopping mall entrance.
Within walking distance is the Al Rayyan Football Stadium.
QNCC is closed but presently, there is no walkway or passage from Education City Station to QNCC. It is a 18-minute walk by Al Luqta Service road. Nearby the station is additionally Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art.
Qatar National Library
Beside the Qatar National Library, this station is also the closest station to Sidra Hospital. You can take Khalifa Avenue North exit and the hospital within walking distance.
M208 will be working from Al Messila station to Madinat Khalifa South Area by Al Rayyan town and Al Rayyan exchange. Some of the stops include Lulu Hypermarket, Al Meera and the Traffic Department.
M209 links the station to Al Hitmi and Fereej container Omran areas. Al Hitmi Park, Town Center, and Yarmouk Prep School.
Places of interest within walking include Hamad General Hospital, Women’s Hospital, and Hamad Outpatient Department. Warwick Doha and Wyndham Grand Regency Doha are the nearby restaurants. Philippine School Doha and Lulu Hypermarket are additionally nearby.
There is a Metro link from Hamad Hospital to Al Sadd (Zone 38) Area. There are stops close to Pioneer Education Center and Millennium Hotel.
The White Palace
Over this station are the following: Communicable Disease Center, Heart Hospital are Rumailah Hospital.
QATAR RAIL APP
To keep updated about the Qatar Rail services, it is ideal to download the Qatar Rail App: iOS | Android
In the application, beside all the vital information about Qatar Rail, you can register and deal with your card. You can also effectively top up your card without sitting at the station. Your exchange history will also be reflected in the application.
The Plan My Journey included inside the Network and Services Info is useful for routes, particularly in case you are new to utilizing Doha Metro.
Doha Metro timings
- Saturday to Wednesday: 06:00 to 23:00
- Thursday: 06:00 to 23:59
- Friday: 14:00 to 23:59
You can discover here the timetable of the first and last timings of Doha Metro trains
Display screens at the stage show how long until the following train arrives. There are also sound declarations, both in Arabic and English.
Doha Metro Ticket costs
The Doha Metro offers several ticket options for commuters, depending on their travel needs and frequency. Here are some details about the Doha Metro ticket costs:
- Standard Ticket: A standard ticket costs QAR 2 for a single journey and can be purchased at the ticket vending machines located at the metro stations.
- Limited Use Travel Cards: The Limited Use Travel Cards are reloadable smartcards that can be used for multiple journeys within a day or a week. The cost of the card is QAR 10, and the minimum top-up amount is QAR 10. The fare for each journey is deducted from the card balance.
- Day Pass: The Day Pass costs QAR 6 and can be used for unlimited journeys on the day of purchase.
- Weekly Pass: The Weekly Pass costs QAR 30 and can be used for unlimited journeys for seven consecutive days.
- Gold Club Travel Card: The Gold Club Travel Card is a reloadable smartcard that offers several benefits, including priority boarding, free Wi-Fi, and access to the Gold Club Lounge. The cost of the card is QAR 100, and the minimum top-up amount is QAR 100.
- Single Journey: The fare for a single journey using the Gold Club Travel Card is QAR 10.
- Day Pass: The Day Pass costs QAR 30 and can be used for unlimited journeys on the day of purchase.
- Weekly Pass: The Weekly Pass costs QAR 150 and can be used for unlimited journeys for seven consecutive days.
- Group Travel Cards: The Group Travel Cards are reloadable smartcards that can be used by a group of up to five people. The cost of the card is QAR 20, and the minimum top-up amount is QAR 20.
- Single Journey: The fare for a single journey using the Group Travel Card is QAR 2 per person.
- Day Pass: The Day Pass costs QAR 20 and can be used by up to five people for unlimited journeys on the day of purchase.
Where to purchase tickets or travel cards?
Self-service Travel Card vending machines are available at all stations for Standard Travel Cards and Limited Use Travel Cards. You can also buy Standard travel cards from licensed retailers like Lulu, Al Meera, Carrefour, and Jumbo.
Gold Club Travel Cards can be bought from the Gold club office present in all stations.
Methods of payment
- ● Visa
- ● MasterCard
- ● American Express
- ● Cafes Club
Metro Park and Ride
The Doha Metro Park and Ride facility is available at several metro stations in Doha, Qatar, including Al Wakra, Al Qassar, Al Aziziya, Al Riffa, and Al Wakrah stations. The facility provides a convenient parking option for commuters who prefer to drive to the metro station and use the metro to travel around the city.
Here are some details about the Doha Metro Park and Ride facility:
- Location: The Park and Ride facility is located adjacent to the metro station, making it easy for commuters to park their vehicles and access the metro.
- Parking charges: The parking charges at the Park and Ride facility are QAR 2 per hour or QAR 30 per day.
- Payment options: The parking charges can be paid using a rechargeable smartcard, which can be purchased at the metro stations or online.
- Capacity: The Park and Ride facility has a capacity of approximately 2,000 parking spaces, ensuring ample parking for commuters.
- Security: The Park and Ride facility is equipped with CCTV cameras and security personnel to ensure the safety and security of the parked vehicles.
- Accessibility: The Park and Ride facility is designed to be accessible for people with disabilities, with designated parking spaces and wheelchair ramps.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings