Plants have many advantages; the greatest one being that they filter the toxins in the air all around in your house. Plants also help reduce stress, strain your eyes and are great for your happiness. And they are a good addition to your home style.
This is a good chance to explore different experiments with something new and extend your horizons. If you have a child, it would be a great summer activity or a good expectation to absorb all information in general. Furthermore, it’s completely ok if you don’t have a green thumb. Continue reading to find out which plants you can grow inside in Qatar’s summer heat. And note that these plants can be bought from basically any nursery here in Doha.
1. Money Plant
The money plant is probably the easiest plant to grow in Qatar. Indeed, even a baby can keep this one alive. OK, maybe not a baby. However, you get the gist. It’s a plant found mainly in North Australia, Malaysia and South Asia. It’s good to have luck and prosperity inside the house. It is also called as ‘Pothos’, ‘Devils Ivy’ and ‘Silver Vine’. The good thing about this plant is it can grow in water alone as it can make due on the normally occurring minerals found in water.
- Scientific name: Scindapsus aureus, or Epipremnum aureum
- Where to purchase: Lulu Supermarket, Landmasters, other local nurseries.
- Water: When top 2-4 inches is dry. In case of growing hydroponically, change the water weekly.
- Sunlight: Keep in bright sunlight for ideal results.
- Price: QR 30 to QR 130
2. Snake Plant
The good thing about this plant is you can neglect it for weeks and it even lives. So, for all us expats in Doha with travel schedules. In case, decay easily so make sure to have free draining soil. Most common name is ‘Mother in Law’s tongue’. It filters Benzene, Xylene, Formaldehyde and Trichloroethylene.
- Scientific name: Sansevieria trifasciata
- Where to purchase: The Garden Center, other local nurseries
- Water: Once every 2-3 weeks.
- Sunlight: Indirect sunlight.
- Price: QR 65 (42 cm)
3. Peace Lily
This was on NASA’s list of Top Ten Household Air Cleaning Plants. They remove harmful poisons like Ammonia and Formaldehyde, Benzene and Trichloroethylene from the air and won’t look beautiful in your home, they keep the air healthy also. It is a low maintenance plant that can grow in shade, if your flat doesn’t have a lot of windows.
- Scientific name: Spathiphyllum
- Where to purchase: The Garden Center, Other local nurseries
- Water: Once every week, keep the soil moist.
- Sunlight: Partial shade.
- Price: QR 35 – 55
4. Aloe Vera
Everybody thinks about this plant as well as it’s various medicinal properties. It is used in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries and has an expected yearly market value of $13 billion all around the world. It has antioxidants and antibacterial properties. You can use it to heal burns and use it in beauty masks for hair, skin. A few people like to drink it for the advantages it gives. Mostly for studies, it is known to bring down sugar and help in digestion. You can also purchase singular Aloe leaves from supermarkets like Carrefour Qatar to use them for natural skin/hair care remedies.
- Scientific name: Aloe Vera
- Where to purchase: Floranza International Nursery, Other neighborhood nurseries
- Water: Every three weeks.
- Sunlight: Indirect sunlight.
- Price: QR 45 – 100
5. Spider Plant
This one helps clean poisons like Benzene, Xylene, Carbon Monoxide, Formaldehyde and Toluene from the air. It’s an intense plant that can tolerate the harsh summer weather in Qatar and is great if you are new to thinking about plants. Best for all, it’s safe for your pets, as well.
- Scientific name: Chlorophytum comosum
- Where to purchase: Landmasters, other local nurseries
- Water: Once per week.
- Daylight: Bright indirect sunlight.
- Price: QR 15 – 35 QR