Greece is located on the southern tip of the Balkan Peninsula, officially named as Hellenic Republic is a country in the Southeast Europe. Greece is bordered with Albania to the northwest, Turkey to the northeast, including Bulgaria and North Macedonia to the north.
Greece has also been a major destination for tourist destination for its rich culture, several islands, beaches, coastline, and is also reflected by its 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Since 2000, Greece as a member state of the Schengen Zone allow foreigners to enter for business and tourism purpose with the Greek Schengen Visa.
Entry Requirements for Greece
If you are an EU national, you are allowed to visit Greece with an identity documentation or passport. Additional, if you are a citizen of a third world country intending to enter Greece, you have to showcase following records to the border police of Greek:
- A valid passport or travel document. It should be valid for at least 3 months from the intended date of departure from the Schengen Agreement and issued within the last 10 years.
- Visa – if you are covered by the Greek visa system.
The Greek officers at border may ask you some questionnaire regarding your visit to Greece. It can be as:
- Your objective of visiting Greece
- How long you intend to stay in the country?
- Where are you going to stay?
The representatives may also request you to submit extra documents such as an invitation letter from a Greek sponsor, evidence of financial means, proof of lodging or a return ticket, etc. For more data in this regard, connect with the Greek consular administrations in your native country.
The final decision of whether or not you will be allowed to enter Greece depends on the Greek border team. If you have been given the go-ahead, be sure to get your passport stamped by the Greek border guard upon arrival. Without a stamp, you could be fined or detained from Greece.
Who Requires a Schengen Visa to Greece?
A short-stay visa is required to enter Greece and other Schengen countries if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You are a native of a developing country whose Schengen countries have not yet entered into visa liberalization agreements.
- You are a native of a Third World country that has a visa liberalization agreement with the Schengen countries, but was previously denied entry to Greece or another Schengen country.
Documents you Need for a Greece Schengen Visa Application
As per the Greece visa requirements, you need to present some justifiable documents for your visa application at the Greek embassy. Kindly have a look to the documents you need:
Greek visa application form – Fill out the visa application form with the necessary information, print it out, and then sign it at the conclusion. Here, you can acquire further instruction on How to Accurately Complete the Schengen Visa Application Form.
Passport photos (2) – The pictures ought to be identical as per the picture specifications for Greek Schengen visa application as established by the Schengen visa rule.
A valid passport – Prior to applying for a short-term visa to Greece, verify that your passport fulfils the passport standards enforced by the Schengen countries. Your passport must possess at least two unused pages, must be issued within the last 10 years, and must have a validity of three months beyond your scheduled stay in the Schengen.
Copies of your previous visas (if it its applicable).
Schengen travel health insurance – Acquire health insurance that is valid in Greece and throughout the Schengen Region, with a minimum coverage of €30,000 for medical contingencies. Uncover how to purchase journey insurance that complies with the Greek visa policies.
Round trip flight itinerary – Documents proving that you have booked a flight to/from Greece. This document must include your flight number, date and name.
Proof of your stay – A hotel booking in Greece. Click here to browse and book hotel in Greece.
Proof of financial means to stay in Greece – Visitors to Greece must certify that they possess €50 per day they intend to stay in Greece. A decrease of 50% of the usual amount applies to minors.
A cover letter – A personal letter mentioning the reason for why you are applying for a visit to Greece, how long you will be staying, when you will depart and other details.
A civil status proof – This can be a marriage certificate, a child’s birth certificate, a spouse’s death certificate, etc.
Requirements for Greek Visa Depending on your Employment Status
Additionally, you will need to present the Embassy/Consulate with documentation proving that you meet the Belgian visa requirements based on your employment status.
- employment contract
- Checking statements for the last 6 months
- Employer’s vacation entitlement
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form
- A copy of your business license.
- Company statement of accounts for the last 6 months.
- Income Tax Return (ITR).
If a student:
- Proof of Registration
- School or college clearance certificate
- Pension certificate for the last 6 months
- Regular income proof of previous 6 months
Note: Here’s how to obtain No-objection certificate (NOC)
Greek Visa Requirements for Minors
If you are a minor intend to apply for a short-stay visa in Greece, or parents applying for a minor’s visa, you must fulfil the following additional Greek visa requirements:
- Birth certificate for minors traveling to Greece.
- Greece Application signed by parents.
- Family court order. Where only one parent has sole custody of the child.
- Notarized copy of parent’s ID/passport
When a minor travels alone with another person:
- One original and photocopy of the partner’s passport page with owner details and expiry date, recent photo, copy of valid visa.
- Notarized parental authorization to travel to Greece which must be signed by both parents/legal guardians
Note: Parents or guardians must accompany minor children when applying at the Greek Embassy/Consulate in their home country.
Here’re the Additional Requirements Which Depend on the Purpose of your Entry
In keeping with the regulations of the Greek visa application process, additional documents need to be submitted to the Greek diplomatic office in conjunction with the standard papers mentioned beforehand for any type of temporary Greek visa.
Here’s the Airport Transit Visa Requirements
If you must touch down at one of the Greek airfields, in order to journey to your non-Schengen destination nation, you may have to obtain a Greece Airport Transit Visa.
It’s worth noting that the list of countries that require an airport transit visa to traverse through the Greek airfields is shorter than the list of those who need other Schengen visa categories.
Kindly check the list of natives who need a Greece Airport Transit Visa, to ascertain whether you require to make an application for one.
What Documents are Required for a Greece Airport Tansit Schengen Visa?
When you decide to get a Greece Airport Transit visa, following are the additional documents you will need to provide:
- A valid visa (if needed) for the final country you are travelling to
- The flight ticket for the final country you are travelling to
Greece Transit Visa Requirements
Seafarers who need to disembark at one of the Greek docks in the Greek mainland or any of its islands in order to board a different craft to their non-Schengen target nation, you may require to apply Greece Transit Visa.
When applying get a Greece Transit vis, you need to provide following documents:
- A valid visa for the country you are traveling to (if required)
- Last country ticket to travel
- Fitness certificate. Proof that you are free from any disease that may pose a threat to public health, according to international affairs and the World Health Organization
- Valid Seaman’s Book
- A letter from the inviting shipping company. Issued by the welcome ship company of the Schengen member state where the seafarer disembarks.
- Application from the shipping company. A document containing all details of the seafarer, such as name, date of birth, passport number, rank/class.
- Employment contract. You will sign a contract with a shipping company/ship and board the ship.
Tourist Visa Requirements for Greece
In case you are looking to holiday in the Hellenic Republic for sightseeing, vacations, exploring the taste of Greek country, culture and way of life, you will need to submit an application for a Greece Tourist Visa.
What Documents you need for a Tourist Schengen Visa to Greece?
Well, when you apply to get a Greek tourist visa, here are the following additional documents:
- Account statement. Preferably within the last 6 months
- Itinerary. Day-to-day description of the trip, including arrival and departure dates, where to stay, and what to do
- Proof of how you will finance your trip to Greece.
Greece Visitor Visa Requirements
If you have a relative or companion living in Greece, who has asked you to stay with them for less than 90 days, you are eligible to apply for a Greece Visitor Visa.
What Document Required for a Visitor Schengen to Greece
When you apply to get a visa to visit to your relatives or friends in Greece area, you need to provide following documents:
Proof of financial means. Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Greece.
Itinerary. A detailed daily plan of your trip in Greece. Indicate when you will enter and leave Greece, where you will stay and what you will do.
Invitation letter. A relative/friend who lives in Greece invited you to visit.
Certificates related to family relationships. It can be a marriage certificate or birth certificate, (if applicable).
Business Visa Requirements for Greece
If you have to travel to Greece to partake in an event associated with business, such as a business meeting, signing of a contract, initiating a business, a business celebration, etc., then you will need to apply for a Greece Business Visa.
What are Documents you Need for a Business Schengen Visa to Greece
To apply for a Greece Business Visa, following documents are required to stay up to 90 days within 6-month time period are as follows:
- A letter of invitation from a Greek company to attend a meeting or conference in Greece, along with its full address and date of visit
- A letter from your employer. This letter should state your reasons for traveling to Greece
- Proof of travel funds. For the applicant’s expenses during their stay in Greece, either the employer or the affiliated company must indicate in the letter or invitation that the expenses will be covered.
Study Visa Requirements for Greece
If you intend to do study, an internship program, or a training which last for maximum 90 days or less, within a time of 6 months, you will have to apply for a Greece Study Visa.
What documents you need for a Schengen Visa to Study in Greece?
Well, you need to provide the following documents when applying for a Greek Student Visa:
- A letter of no objection from your current educational institution where you are enrolled (if applicable).
- Certificate of admission or registration in a Greek educational institution for participating in academic or professional courses.
- Internship contract. It is signed between the Greek company, its home branch and its trainees.
Medical Visa Requirements for Greece
If you are intending to make a journey to Greece for medical purposes such as therapies, operations, etc., it is important to apply for a Greece Medical visa prior to your trip.
You have to meet the Greece medical visa requirements by providing following mentioned documents to Greek embassy in your country of residence:
- A local medical report: Issued by a doctor or hospital in the country of origin to certify that treatment is required in Greece.
- A medical certificate issued by a Greek hospital or doctor confirming the appointment date and health status. You also need to make sure that the hospital can provide certain treatments and you will be admitted accordingly.
- Proof of financial agreement. Advance payment or other proof of sufficient funds or arrangements to cover treatment and related costs. B. Insurance Coverage.
- When there is communication between the sending doctor and the receiving medical institution, in case, if available.
Visa requirements for cultural/sporting/religious events in Greece
If you intend to travel to Greece for the exclusive purpose of participating in a cultural, sporting, or religious event, or as part of a film crew, you must apply for a Greece Cultural/Sports/Religious Events Visa.
When applying for a Greek Cultural / Sports / Religious Event in Greece, you must submit the following additional documents.
Invitation from the organizer of the event. Perhaps details on tickets, registration, programs and accommodation
Evidence of previous performances. If you have participated in previous festivals and ceremonies, sporting competitions, proof of world/international rankings (sports)
For film crew members:
- A letter from the film company with your name, movie synopsis and location
- A complete list of named crew members
- A letter from the Greek agency confirming the arrangement of filming permits
- Certificate of Registration with the Local Film Producers Association/Film Chamber of Commerce
Documents you Require for a Greek Schengen Visa for Husband/Wife of a Greek National
If you are the spouse (husband/wife) of a Greek national intending to travel to Greece for a short period of time, you must submit a Schengen Visa application as the spouse of a Greek national.
Which Documents Are Necessary to Obtain a Schengen Visa for the Spouse of a Greek National Visiting Greece?
In order to be approved for a Greek visa as the spouse of a Greek national/citizen, applicants must provide evidence that they meet the criteria through the submission of supplemental paperwork.
- Proof of Greek citizenship (ID card or consular card or Greek citizenship or naturalization certificate)
- Greek marriage certificate
- Greek family book
Greece Schengen Visa if you are Member of Official Delegations
If you are part of an official delegation representing a government, organization, or institution that is planning to travel to Greece, you must apply for a Greek Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations.
What Documents are Necessary to Obtain a Schengen Visa to Greece for Members of Official Delegations?
If you apply for a Greek visa as part of an official delegation, you will need to submit the following additional documents:
- Official copy of the invitation
- A verbal statement from the competent authority confirming your identity, purpose of travel, and duration and location of your stay
- Evidence of the purpose of the trip (negotiations, meetings, organization of intergovernmental bodies, consultations)
How you Can Apply for Greek Short-stay Visa?
Following is the application process to get short-stay visa to Greece:
- Find out which Greece visa type corresponds to your purpose of entry.
- Please confirm where to submit your application.
- Complete the Greek short-stay visa application form.
- Collect mandatory visa requirements for Greece.
- Schedule a visa interview.
- Attend the interview on the proper Greek Embassy/Consulate/VAC.
Where You can Apply for Greek Stay Visa?
Prior to initiating the process of obtaining a visa for Greece in the Schengen area, it is essential to determine the specific location for lodging your visa application. Depending on the regulations governing visa submission in your country of residence, you may have to submit your application at one of the following places.
- Greek embassy
- Greek Consulate
- Visa application centres where Greece entrusts the issuance of visas
- Embassy/Consulate of another Schengen country entrusted by Greece to issue visas
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Schengen Visa at Greek Embassy/VAC/Consulate?
It is important to note that just because Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, that does not mean that you can submit your Schengen visa application to the Greek Embassy/Consulate/VAC, regardless of the countries you plan to visit.
The Schengen member states have very stringent regulations when it comes to visa processing and the authorities that may accept and process the applications.
In case if one of the following applies to you, you should submit your Schengen visa application at the Greek Embassy / Consulate / VAC in your country of residence.
- Apart from Greece, we do not visit any other Schengen country
- We visit other Schengen countries, but our main destination is Greece, this means:
- You will spend more days in Greece than in other countries
- Spend the same number of days in each country, but enter the Schengen area via Greece.
Prior to submitting your application, it is important to remember that a Greece short-stay visa can only be applied for from a country in which you are not currently holding a visa.
You will be allowed to submit a Greece short-stay visa application to a Greek Embassy/Consulate/VAC, if you are a:
- Citizens of the country of origin of the application.
- A foreigner with permanent or temporary residency in the country you are applying for.
How Much Time Duration it Takes to Get a Greek Visa?
Processing times for a Greece short-stay visa can range from 15 to 60 days, depending on the individual’s circumstances and whether the Greek embassies need to seek advice from other Schengen embassies/consulates in connection with the case.
Processing delays for Greece short-stay visas may arise when another country is handling the visa applications on behalf of the Hellenic Republic.
It is suggested that you submit your visa application for your Greek short-stay at least three months prior to your intended trip, in order to ensure that you will receive it in a timely manner.
How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Greek Visa?
Here is the cost of a Schengen visa for Greece:
- If you are an adult traveler – €80
- If you are a children (6 – 12 years) – 40€
- If you have child (under 6) – free
Furthermore, a range of applicants, depending on their nationality, intent of travel to Greece, and other criteria, may be exempt from the Greek Visa fee while others may be eligible to pay a reduced rate.
Note: Have a look at the list of the Greek Schengen Visa fees, to see if you belong to any of these categories!
How long can I stay in Greece without a visa?
If your nationality is from a visa-exempt country, you are allowed to enter and remain in Greece for up to 90 days within a six-month period. If you want to stay for a longer duration, depending on your nationality, you will need to take the action mentioned below:
EU/EEA Citizens – Please register with the relevant Greek authorities within 3 months of arrival.
Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the United States – Apply for a residence permit within 3 months of arrival.
Citizens of the remaining visa-exempt countries – Apply for a long-stay visa in your country of residence.
Those who are citizens of a country that has not signed a visa-free pact with Greece and the other Schengen nations must obtain a visa prior to traveling to Greece or any other Schengen country, even for short-term trips.
Is Schengen visa in Greece Extendable?
Yes, it is possible to extend your Greek Schengen visa but only under extraordinary circumstances, such as humanitarian reasons or life events that come about after entry into Greece. Your application for an extension can be submitted to one of the eight immigration offices located in the major cities.
- Athens APD
- Piraeus APD
- North-Eastern Attica APD
- South-Eastern Attica APD
- Western Attica APD
- Lavrion APD
- Eastern Thessaloniki APD
- Western Thessaloniki APD
Read How to extend your Schengen visa in Greece to understand the circumstances and conditions under which you can extend your Schengen visa for Greece.
Can I cancel my Schengen visa for Greece?
In case, the relevant Greek authorities come to the conclusion that the requirements for granting your visa to Greece are no longer fulfilled, your Greece visa can be annulled.
Take heed that failure to supply the necessary requirements to the border officer by the visa holder can result in a decision to nullify or revoke the visa, though not automatically.
Please Subscribe Us to get updated with Qatar News, Saudi News, Kuwait News, Health News, UAE News, Iqama, Visa, Jobs, Banking and More.. before the full time
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings