An employee background check is a critical approach for both employee and employer. But resigning from your current job in a foreign land like Qatar might push you into troubles if you’re not well aware of the Labour Laws of Qatar.
Hence, you need to know the legal rights and course of action of the country to ensure your future employment opportunities in Qatar or other parts of the world.
Here, we have come up with a quick checklist of Qatar Labour Law No (14) of 2004 introduced by the Ministry of Administrative Development Labour & Social Affairs (MADLSA.
Notice Period Related Rules & Regulations (Article 49)
For any party, employer or the employee, who’s terminating the contract, needs to follow the stated Notice Period, which depends on the employee’s employment period in the company.
For Monthly or Yearly Wagers –
- At least one month notice for employees working five years or less
- At least two months of notice for employees working more than five years
For Hourly, Daily or Weekly Wagers –
- At least one week notice for employees working less than one year
- At least two weeks’ notice for employees working more than one year but less than five years
- At least one month notice for employees working for more than five years
Compensation Upon Termination Without Prior Notice (Article 50)
Under Article 50 of the Qatar Labour Law, if an employer terminates an employee’s contract without providing the required notice period, the employer must compensate the employee by paying them in lieu of notice.
The amount of compensation to be paid to the employee depends on the duration of the notice period that the employer failed to provide. The compensation amount should be equal to the employee’s salary for the notice period that the employer failed to provide.
For example, if the notice period required by the contract or law is one month, but the employer terminates the employee’s contract without any notice, then the employer must pay the employee an amount equal to one month’s salary as compensation in lieu of notice.
It is important to note that if the employee terminates the contract without providing the required notice period as per the law or contract, the employer may be entitled to deduct an amount from the employee’s final settlement as compensation for the notice period that was not provided.
The Labour Law also requires that the compensation amount to be paid in lieu of notice should be calculated based on the employee’s basic salary, excluding any additional allowances or benefits, such as housing or transportation allowances.
Conditions When Employees Can Terminate The Contract Without Obligation (Article 51)
In Qatar, Article 51 of the Labour Law provides several conditions when employees can terminate their contract without any obligation. These conditions include:
- If the employer fails to fulfill its obligations towards the employee as per the contract or the law.
- If the employer violates the employee’s rights or dignity.
- If the employer assigns the employee to work in a location other than the one agreed upon in the contract, without the employee’s consent.
- If the employer fails to pay the employee’s salary for a period of more than three months, or if the employer regularly delays salary payments.
- If the employer subjects the employee to any physical harm or danger.
- If the employer forces the employee to work in violation of the laws, regulations, or public morals.
- If the employee suffers from a work-related injury or disease and the employer fails to take appropriate measures to protect the employee’s health.
- If the employee is a female worker and she is married to a non-Qatari who resides outside Qatar, and she has to leave Qatar due to her husband’s work or other reasons.
While working in a foreign country, it’s vital to be aware of the Legal Rights you can have in hard times. If you need to know more or to know in detail, feel free to ask us.
Please Subscribe Us to get updated with Qatar News, Saudi News, Kuwait News, Health News, UAE News, Iqama, Visa, Jobs, Banking and More.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings