In 1932, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was established, marking the beginning of a transition in its health system from traditional medicine to modern advanced patient care. However, during that time, there were no medical schools in Saudi Arabia, and aspiring medical students had to study abroad in pursuit of their medical education. It wasn’t until 1957 that Riyadh University (now King Saud University) collaborated with the London College of Medicine to establish the country’s first medical college.
Over time, Saudi Arabian medical schools evolved, aligning their medical curriculum with international standards. With the cooperation of both government and private sectors, medical education in Saudi Arabia has become more refined, gaining recognition as one of the best in the world.
As for international students aspiring to enroll in medical schools in Saudi Arabia, it is possible, but the acceptance rate is low. Before 2008, there were only five medical schools in the country, and less than 20% of physicians were Saudi Arabians. In response, the Ministry of Higher Education took action, resulting in the establishment of ten new medical schools by 2008.
Table of Contents
- Hostel facilities for studying MBBS in Saudi Arabia.
- Best Medical colleges in Saudi Arabia
- Alfaisal University:
- King Abdulaziz University (KAU)
- King Saud University
- King Saud bin Abdulaziz University For Health Sciences (KSAU-HS)
- Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University (IAU)
- Umm Al-Qura University
- Jazan University
- Qassim University
- Al-Baha University
- Najran University
- Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery syllabus in Saudi Arabia
- Admission process for MBBS In Saudi Arabia.
- Criteria for eligibility to pursue MBBS in Saudi Arabia
- Advantages of taking admission in Saudi Arabia.
Currently, there are 21 medical institutions in Saudi Arabia, but they still face a shortage of physicians. To address this issue, the Saudi Arabian government mandated that medical schools be tuition-free and prioritize Saudi Arabian citizens. Consequently, getting accepted into government or public medical schools can be challenging for international students.
On the other hand, private medical universities in Saudi Arabia accept students based on their paying capacity, providing an alternative for international students. Some of the private institutions that welcome international students include Ibn Sina National College, Batterjee Medical College, and Al Faisal University.
Previously, high school graduates in Saudi Arabia didn’t need to take admission exams, and a high grade was the primary requirement for medical school admission. However, the process has now changed for both international and local students. They need to accomplish two series of examinations followed by an entrance interview to their chosen university. The basic requirements for International High School graduates aspiring to pursue medicine in Saudi Arabia include:
- High School Diploma acquired within the past two years, certified by the Saudi Embassy.
- High average grades and specific grades in science subjects.
- Authenticated copy of Bank statement for the last six months (for private schools).
- Passing scores in the two medical school admission exams (Tahsili and Quadraat) and interview.
While Saudi Arabia has relatively few requirements to encourage student applications, it is easier to get into private medical institutions compared to public schools. However, aspiring students should be prepared for the costs associated with private institutions, as they generally require a minimum deposit of 100,000 SR ($26,700) to issue a student visa.
Regarding the medical curriculum in Saudi Arabian medical schools, it is essential to note that a medical license acquired from the country is valid primarily in similar Islamic countries. Non-Islamic countries, such as the US or UK, may require additional education or licensure examinations.
Hostel facilities for studying MBBS in Saudi Arabia.
The hostels are built within the campus.
Facilities for Indian and foreign students are.
Healthy and nutritious food
Spacious bedrooms and ventilated bathrooms and gyms.
Separate hostel facilities for boys and girls
Cyber cafe and Wi-Fi facilities for entire campus
Best Medical colleges in Saudi Arabia
The early medical education in Saudi Arabia follows a six-year program divided into three-year pre-clinical and three-year clinical studies. However, due to curriculum changes from 2008 onwards, the current curriculum extends to almost seven years. For instance, King Saud University College of Medicine follows this curriculum:
- Preparatory year for high school graduates.
- Two years of basic medical sciences, including anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, and physiology, with practical sessions.
- The pre-clinical year, covering medicine, surgery, community research, and medicine.
- Clinical years, including clinical rotations in various medical departments.
- A compulsory internship year leading to a degree in Medicine and Surgery.
- The Saudi Medical Licensure Examination (SMLE) is required to practice in Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries or pursue post-graduate training/specialization.
Alfaisal University stands as a private institution and is renowned for its excellence in education and research. Collaborating with Harvard Medical International, each course in its medical program is enriched by partnerships with King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre (KFSHRC) and Security Forces Hospital. The medical curriculum at Alfaisal University is divided into three interconnected phases, emphasizing a comprehensive learning experience.
King Abdulaziz University (KAU)
Founded in 1977, KAU’s Faculty of Medicine is one of the oldest and most esteemed medical universities in Saudi Arabia. With a highly developed curriculum and extensive learning opportunities, KAU offers separate sections for male and female students on its campus, along with a University hospital for clinical and internship training.
King Saud University
King Saud University has undergone transformative changes in its medical curriculum, adopting a student-centered learning approach based on global standards. The university accepts international students and provides scholarships, making it accessible to aspiring medical professionals.
King Saud bin Abdulaziz University For Health Sciences (KSAU-HS)
A research-intensive medical university, KSAU-HS has received accolades for its MBBS program’s excellence. It follows a unique format with preparatory training, specialization, clinical training, and an internship year.
Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University (IAU)
IAU is known for pioneering post-graduate/specialization education in Saudi Arabia and has gained recognition from various prestigious organizations. It actively promotes scientific research and offers a 6-year MBBS degree program.
Umm Al-Qura University
College of Medicine: Umm Al-Qura University’s highly established Faculty of Medicine has been operational since 1996. The university collaborates with University College London, offering a revamped and comprehensive medical program.
College of Medicine: Jazan University focuses on creating outstanding medical practitioners with a strong emphasis on scientific research. Its medical school has strict admissions standards, including high grades and GAT scores for enrollment in the 6-year MBBS program.
Unaizah College of Medicine and Medical Sciences: Qassim University offers a holistic educational approach with the integration of Self-Directed Learning (SDL) to enhance students’ implementation of medical information. Its 5-year MBBS program includes pre-clinical and clinical phases, with hands-on experience in clinical settings.
Faculty of Medicine: Al-Baha University is known for its rigorous research programs and intense educational system. It prepares students for evidence-based clinical practice and offers a 6-year MBBS curriculum.
College of Medicine: Najran University ranks as a leading open-access research educational institution. Its medical school offers specialist sectors and focuses on evidence-based clinical practice, requiring high GAT scores for admission to the 6-year MBBS program.
Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery syllabus in Saudi Arabia
Anatomy and Histology
Anatomy physiology biochemistry microbiology Histology
Physiology microbiology Pathology Pharmacology
Fourth and sixth year
Neurology, Gynecology, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, ENT.Cardiology, Oncology, Internal Medicine, Psychology, Neurology, Gynecology,
Admission process for MBBS In Saudi Arabia.
Fill the Application form on University website
- Apply for the force of your choice and submit all the original certificates
- University will review and process your application form
- Get a printout of the offer letter given to you by the University
- The required fees needs to be paid
- Apply for student visa after getting the offer
- Inform the date of your arrival to the university
Criteria for eligibility to pursue MBBS in Saudi Arabia
MBBS is the degree offered by the University.The program is for 7 years. 1 year is for preparatory. After passing SLE students are eligible to practice MBBS.SLE is Saudi Licensing Examination.
you need to score a minimum of 50% in physics, chemistry, and biology and NEET score not less than 50%. For getting admitted to saudi arabia medical college for MBBS in saudi arabia,
Since English language is a must. Student need to pass IELTS or TOEFL.
- Certificate of birth
- 10th memo
- 12th Memo
- Xerox copy of Invitation Letter
- passport size photographs required are 5
- Covid test Report
- Bank statement
- Statement of intent . duly signed by authorized body
Advantages of taking admission in Saudi Arabia.
You can learn a new language. Explore new culture tradition and place.
Travel to nearby places like Barcelona Paris France European countries
It is in itself a rewarding experience .
It makes you independent. Life comes full circle for you
Shape you for better career and future.
The medical education landscape in Saudi Arabia has evolved significantly over the years, with several prestigious institutions now offering top-notch medical programs. From private universities like Alfaisal University to established institutions like King Saud University, each medical school provides unique opportunities for aspiring medical professionals. Whether you are a local or international student, these universities strive to produce competent doctors equipped to meet the challenges of the medical field. Choose the right institution that aligns with your aspirations and embark on a rewarding medical education journey in Saudi Arabia.
Other Articles you may like
- Popular Beach Clubs in Jeddah, Saudi
- List of popular Supermarkets in Jeddah
- Tawakkalna App – Check out all countries’ travel requirements ( KSA )
- Saudi Arabia allows expats to change jobs without waiting a year ( New Laws )
- Top 10 Saudi companies in Saudi Arabia
- List of 50 Baby Names banned in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Ways to change the mobile phone number in Absher Services
- How to Check Saudi Arabia Iqama Expiry Online?
- List of Richest People in Saudi Arabia